Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tart sweet

You might not think Key lime pie is retro, but it is! Refrigeration didn't reach the Florida Keys until 1930. So long-lasting, thick and creamy sweetened condensed milk was a key ingredient in this pie. It's still what's used to achieve that creamy texture and balance out the tart twang of lime. Yes, you must use Key Lime juice, so don't worry about squeezing limes. Save that for when you have to strangle pounds of citrus to make lemonade like I do.  I'm not lucky enough to have a neighbor or friend with a Key lime tree.
 
I get my Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice at Publix in the juice aisle. It lasts for a while in the fridge. A good thing since the recipe only calls for 3/4 cup. Luckily, I made two back to back for different guests. My husband was thankful:) When we went to the Keys during a summer trip, I made a point to try the Sunshine-state sweet every place we went. If the pie wasn't on the menu, I didn't want to eat there! (I even had Key lime chocolate truffles, and a frozen slice dipped in chocolate.) I know....I went overboard. 

My go-to recipe is a Martha Stewart version from her Every Day foods magazine/ Web site. I am the first to admit that her recipes can be convoluted and difficult. This is the most simple and no fail recipe ever! I promise!  Click the link below to be taken to Martha's recipe:)

Martha Stewart's Key Lime Pie Tart Recipe

The pie's golden hue also comes from 4 luscious egg yolks. No one said this was fat free!

Pulse graham crackers, melted butter and sugar until you get graham "sand." Press into a pretty tart pan or pie plate and bake for 10 minutes. Try to contain yourself as the smell wafts through your house!
Not my prettiest one, but this was my first attempt. I have since made 2 more....and they just get better! Bake until only slightly jiggly in the middle.


1 comment:

  1. Did you know Kermit's Key West Key Lime Shoppe on Duval Street in Key West has a store and warehouse in DeLand?!!! 10,000 square feet of shop, warehouse and production kitchen on Patterson avenue near the geodesic domes on Old Daytona Road. The frozen key lime covered in chocolate you had in the Keyes was on the menu of a now defunct burger joint. It came on a stick like a popsicle. Real Key Lime pie, like yours is yellow not green. Restaurants put green food color in for the tourists.
    http://www.keylimeshop.com/locations

    ReplyDelete