Thursday, July 3, 2014

A touch of glass

I think I spent 30 minutes sifting through all these beauties at Renninger's Antique, Flea and Farmer's Market in Mt. Dora, Florida. 


I like to think about all the jams, pickled veggies or special trinkets they used to hold. And I'm just drawn to that glinting tint of light blue. Vintage glass jars have become the perfect decor touch for this retro gal. I don't remember where I bought my first, but I've since found them in Tennessee, Kentucky and of course, Florida. I find them everywhere. In fact, I feel kind of strange when I've picked over the dusty shelves of an antique store and don't see one. I love the blue jars, but have fallen in love with clear versions as well, like the one that houses all of my husband's beer caps. I'm not picky about the brand, but Ball seems to be the easiest to find while antiquing with my family. I can pay between $6 and $12 for each...though my father in law, Bill, is always behind me telling me to look for the best deal. He's the one who showed me the numbers on the bottom of the jars. Turn over a Ball jar and you might see a number like the one shown here.



 It's the mold number from when the jars were manufactured, according to a posting from a collection expert in Minnesota. She says the numbers were used so workers could determine which mold was making faulty jars. I like to think of it more like "collect the whole set" or collect your favorite number. I love the number 11. We moved into our home on November 11, 2011 (11/11/11), so I see it as a good luck charm. Unlike the jars with 13 on the bottom. Also according to my father-in-law, jars with the unlucky number were often destroyed so finding one is rare. You should see his jar collection....enviable!

If you'd like to read more from the post I mentioned earlier....click on the link below:)

http://www.minnetrista.net/blog/2013/06/27/ball-family-history/how-to-date-a-ball-jar/

 When I started thinking about it, I have quite the little collection going here at home. But I had to hunt for them because I really do use these vessels! One for soap thanks to a modern soap dispenser Mom found on the Internet, one for corralling pencils and pens.




One for the greeting card I really, really like and will probably never throw away. And a few for my picture frames. It's not a frame of course, but a safe place for special photos.



 In my kitchen I have a bullet-style Mason jar housing a photo of my father. He's on the streets of Brooklyn, his arms slung around some school chums. Sporting slicked-back hair-dos and high-waisted pants, my Dad and his friends showcase a light-hearted moment in a tough neighborhood and time. (He's the one on the far right.) It's like I've captured time in a jar. Old Polaroids would be great in a smaller jar....hmmm. Must.find.Polaroids.


A fun glass jar decorating tip! When I am expecting guests, I find my favorite photo of them and place it in my prettiest jar. It's a personal touch to let them know I am thinking of them even before they arrive. To my friends Amanda and Jeff, you haven't spent the night yet...but if you do, this jar is waiting for you!
So how old is your jar? Date your jar with this incredibly handy chart, also from the Minnesota-based Web-site I mentioned. Most of mine were made between 1923 and 1933! Check it out!

I'd love for you to post pictures of your jars and how you use them!!

2 comments:

  1. We loved having a special picture just for us when we stayed! you guys are the best hosts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it:) We always enjoy your company!

      Delete