Monday, July 14, 2014

Southern inspired skillet corn!


It may look like my family eats corn every day... But when it's available and fresh, I like to use it. I love shucking the ears right in the store to make sure I'm not bringing home a rotten product. And It keeps corn silk out of your kitchen. It gets everywhere! Speaking of getting everywhere... Trying to cut corn off the cob can be a messy process. But thanks to the Food Network, I've learned a few tricks. I like to get a large bowl and find another smaller bowl that will fit snugly inside, but upside down. If it's not a perfect fit, I put a damp paper towel under the small bowl to prevent my bowl from sliding.

First, cut off the end of the cob for a steady surface. Place vertically and prop your fingers at the very top. Mind your fingers and run your knife down the cob. With this bowl method, the kernels won't pop all over the place. I've also used a bunt pan thanks to Paula Deen. It has the perfect spot to hold the corn upright, but I have found I've scarred my pan with too many taps from my knife. And it's a pain to clean in my opinion.

Skillet Corn from Southern Living
This recipe is so savory with the bacon and basil befriending heavy cream and sweet corn.
Just a tip: I make sure to get out every ingredient, utensil and pan I need prior to even preheating the oven when I cook. It makes me feel less scattered.

Ingredients: 
  • bacon slices
  • 1/2 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
  • garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

Kitchen items:


  • Large bowl and small bowl for corn
  • Measuring spoons
  • Measuring cups
  • Chopping knife
  • Cutting board
  • Two pans: I used a heavy cast-iron skillet and a saute pan.
Get started!

  • 1. Cut corn kernels off the cob or drain and rinse corn if using canned variety. 
  • 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
  • 3. Sauté onion and garlic in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender. ( I did this over medium heat.) Stir in corn; cook 5  minutes or until golden. Remove from heat.
  • 4. Cook flour in a large clean skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until golden. DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED:) Gradually whisk in half-and-half until smooth. Add corn mixture, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and basil. Sprinkle each serving with bacon, and garnish, if desired.
Browning the flour-be vigilant!







I served the skillet corn with seasoned, lean pork chops which I quickly broiled. This summer dinner was a snap to put together. 
    You can't even see my pork chop under the mountain of corn!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment