Friday, March 11, 2016

Practice makes perfect!

I had such a fun time transforming my sister and friend into pin-ups this month! 
For my sister, it was simple. She has navel-length hair, which equaled instant volume when rolled. 

I didn't have my arsenal of Bobby pins, so we used hair pins. I needed my smoothing pomade to tame fly-always, but it turned out well! A rockabilly look complimented Alexis' tattoos. She needs to do this more often!
For a 1940s feel, I added some victory rolls. 
And for the final change, all the way up.
She loves to wear retro, high waisted two-piece swimsuits. How adorable would this hair be this summer? Thanks to my sister for letting me pretend to be a hairstylist!

I also asked my dear friend Martha if I could practice a wet-set of pin-curls on someone else. It is so much easier to do this to myself! Martha has shoulder-length, fine hair. She says hairstylists have always likened her hair to corn silk. After 10 frustrating minutes of trying to make that first curl, I gave up. The hair was slipping out of my fingers, and I was afraid it was too wet.  There was no need to be perfect, so I just went for it. Looks like text-book pin-curls to me! Yay!
I did preface Martha's pin-up adventure with an understanding. I told her if the style was not her favorite, she could wash it out. I had no idea how the set would take to her smooth hair, or what the product would do. I'm no Paul Mitchell, but bless Martha for letting me play. 

I used setting lotion in a spray-bottle for each curl, then wrapped the set in a scarf. Her daughter sported one, too.
The next day, Martha combed out her set, and was transformed to a 1950s darling. I think it looked marvelous! Here's her first step after taking out tons of pins. Such volume!
She did a wonderful job brushing and smoothing for that retro shape. Pin-curls can add volume and that famed curve at the neck. So pretty and perfect for every occasion. Thank you, Martha!

No comments:

Post a Comment