Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pin-up hair flowers on the cheap

My daughter is having a fiesta for her very first birthday... So naturally every señorita in attendance will need a flower in her hair. So I went to the craft store and picked out some silken/polyester blooms. Fake flowers have come a long way! No wonder brides are using them in their bouquets. Pansies, ranunculus, poppies, peonies and more... Luckily JoAnne's Fabrics is running a sale on most flowers. 

I've had my eye on some hair flowers on Etsy, but they were $20 plus shipping.. And they were never exactly what I wanted. No glitter or rhinestones for me. I want a natural look. 


For my formals and date functions as a sorority girl, I would find a florist and pick a bloom for my hair. I remember I ordered a custom dyed orchid in shades of turquoise and purple... Crazy! I think the bloom adds something fresh, young and maybe a little exotic. I'd share some pics from yesteryear, but all of my beloved scrapbooks are tucked away. 

Making your own hair piece is simple! I selected the flowers I wanted, made sure I had enough glue sticks for the glue gun and bought some clips. I don't know the proper terminology for the barrettes I bought, but I got an assortment of sizes at JoAnne's. They are with the headbands and feathers:)
Using regular scissors, I snipped off the buds close to the base. I do recommend carefully cutting as I twice cut off the stems and the whole flower fell apart:( I prepped them all first..


I found the flattest part to adhere the clip... And squeezed the liquid magma glue onto the flower, then positioned the barrette. Gosh that glue gets hot!! Keep pressure on, then leave to dry. 

I started with just flowers... Then I started adding leaves in the background. I loved it!

How am I going to part with these? I can as long as the girls enjoy sifting through the basket and picking their perfect flower.🌸🌺🌹


No comments:

Post a Comment