Friday, March 13, 2015

Lucy comes to the stage!

I Love Lucy! Like I really love her. I love Lucille Ball's movies from the 1930s when she's a glamour girl with steamy attitude and dripping in diamonds. 




I love her zany faces, physical comedy and all her relatability. I didn't see it as sexist when Ricky gave her an allowance... To me it was a snapshot in time. And plus Lucy got whatever she wanted, didn't she? So I get excited when I see commercials for I Love Lucy, Live on Stage... The show playing March 17-22 at the Times Union Center in Jacksonville. Click below for show dates and times!



But it's something about the red wig I can't take. I don't care if the play featured her 90 year old body double... It's not Lucy. I mean, I don't even like cover songs. I like the original. Always. I think I would spend the whole show stage whispering to my husband.... It's just not her... But as they say for the show's tag line...I Love Lucy, live and in color for the very first time. But I like the original, remember?  It was in black and white and it was perfect. I had to imagine Lucy's hair was red and her dress was green! But I can't help but think going to the show would give me an excuse to dress up and celebrate what Lucille Ball did for TV! She was the first woman to show her pregnancy on TV and work it into the storyline.

 It was the first show to ever have re-runs! And I believe it was one of the first TV shows where people dropped what they were doing because "their program was on." I remember watching all the versions of the Lucy show... The one where she moved to California... Remember that? She gave us so many classic TV moments. So I'm not sure I can resist the play... I will do my best not to compare the lead actress with the incomparable Lucille. 

No comments:

Post a Comment