Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Road trip Reading



Southern Living has become my go-to source for every type of recipe these days. Pimento cheese, the deliciously retro Chicken Divan casserole and a lemon-lime pound cake recipe from the '50s to name a few.  Yes, I use Mom's recipes so don't think I'm cheating on the traditional generational cooking thing. After all, she's the one who gave me the "All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook" in 2006. Yes, that is the title. I rediscovered it this past year when I really got cooking in the kitchen. I mean, five different, elaborate meals a week kind of cooking. When I would read the latest SL issue, I would neatly clip out anything that looked enticing. Then it hit me, I have a treasure trove of recipes all in one place-the cookbook! More on that later... 

But this Cakes and Pies edition that just hit stands... Oh Lordy! I needed some light reading for a trip from Jacksonville to Orlando and snagged this "Special Collector's Edition." This magazine is drool-worthy. Hand pies, cupcakes, layer, icebox and ice cream cakes....I started to be disappointed I would be in a hotel room for three days without butter, sugar and flour! The issue is divided by season so you can bake and make with what's in season. So think Strawberry Mousse Cake for spring and Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake for fall. SL's recipes are so easy to follow and every one I have made has turned out just right and scrumptious. It's nice to have all the sweet recipes in one beautifully photographed place. I also have their soup and stew edition...Now I know why Mom kept all those hard-backed editions for decades.


No comments:

Post a Comment