Thursday, July 21, 2016

Retro salad turned dip!

  If you've been to a potluck, you've seen that broccoli salad with raisins, red onions, sunflower seeds and a tangy mayonnaise dressing. It's not for everyone though. Just like some people pass on the ambrosia salad laden with coconut. The crunchy broccoli salad was my go-to for luncheons when I taught in the classroom. I would plunk down my pink Pyrex full of the crunchy stuff, and only have to take home the bowl and the spoon. People like it! It's weird! Bitter broccoli, sweet raisins, crunchy sunflower seeds, and a sauce of mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar coats every nook and cranny.  

When Southern Living featured an updated twist to this retro dish, I knew I'd like it. The dip features Greek yogurt with the mayo, the same raw broccoli, but broken down in the food processor. Adding cream cheese, cheddar and bacon to the old school salad line up makes this dip sooo good! 

My husband does NOT like raw onion or broccoli, but he approved! 
Trisha Yearwood's recipe mirrors the one my Mom passed down to me. I've eaten this for countless holidays. Try this traditional version.

No comments:

Post a Comment