Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Redneck panini press

I wanted crunchy, melty and cheesy. A panini it was. I didn't want a huge ciabatta loaf in the house, so I opted for a smaller Tuscan loaf studded with roasted garlic cloves. One roasted chicken breast provided all the meat for two huge sandwiches.  A slather of store-bought pesto, salted tomatoes, sliced fontina cheese and the chicken were ready for the cast iron. I have about every kitchen tool known to man. But I don't have a blender, waffle maker or panini press. No reason really. I just don't have them. But I do have the redneck panini press...
Two cast iron pans. Easier to clean than a panini press, I guarantee. I buttered the outside of the sandwich and placed the largest side down first. My smaller cast iron skillet went on top, and I gave it a good shove. After it shrunk in size, I flipped the monster. This was restaurant quality. A mid-week treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment