Thursday, April 14, 2016

A place for jewels

Maybe it started with those stick-on earrings. The triangle, diamond and heart-shaped stickers wouldn't last long on my little earlobes, but they were so fun for this child of the '80s. I could match them to any outfit, and if I wanted to wear 3 pairs in one day.. I could. Where are those now for my daughter?

When my toddler catches a glimpse of my vintage rhinestones, she breaks out into her sing song-"Jewels, Mommy, please, jewels, Mommy, please." She's unrelenting until I pick a treasure for her to carefully wear around her neck. "Oh, pretty," she says.

 Daily she requests her own finery. Silicone teething beads will have to do for now. She was lucky enough to get beads strung on pretty pink ribbon from her godmother, a girl who also knew the lure of those jewel-toned stick-on earrings. 

These days, my earrings are either pearls or clip-on vintage finds. If I'm going to a cocktail party, and my outfit is decidedly modern, I throw on a pair of clip-ons... And that retro flare is right up by my face. Aside from sporting a tiara, earrings are the closest jewelry to your natural sparkle, your eyes. People are more likely to see your earrings than any other piece. So make it count!

To keep my eyes on all my vintage finds, I keep my jewelry in plain sight. I have seen many a Pinterest project using a framed piece of chicken wire for earrings.  A bit too country for me. I happened upon this cabinet face in an architectural salvage warehouse in Jacksonville. The owner told me it came from a downtown penthouse overlooking the St. Johns river circa 1960. Sold. I had two more, but got rid of them in a move. I had plans for this one. I love the quatrefoil design, which is metal, and the Moroccan style knob. It might be painted one day, but for now...It looks lovely.

I'm lucky enough to have a husband who didn't think twice about my insistence upon an entire shelf for jewels. 

 Though I do have a framed picture of Frank Sinatra (which I found behind a family photo from grandma's house), I chose to feature another hunk near my precious collection. A wedding day snapshot of my husband keeps my clip-on earring collection in line. Each pair is clipped to a ribbon, but the frame keeps them from slipping. And shouldn't every girl have a photo of her beau nearby?

For my bracelets and a rotating choice of brooches, a pink glass tray.

 For studs and rings, retro ashtrays plucked from my antique store trips. I love this one from a Christmas trip to Kentucky. 
Something about the guarantee of dancing at the Stardust Inn made this a must have for me. 

I had to pick up this tray at my all-time favorite restaurant in Nashville. The Loveless Café has the cutest gift shop. This retro spin on a new ashtray will never see a cigarette butt, just rings and runaway earrings.
I do have a lovely jewelry box that is more of a piece of furniture than a box. A gift from my Mother, it hold all types of treasures. Just like I loved to try on every piece in my Mother's velvet lined jewelry box, my daughter is no different. She pulls open drawers and finds handwritten notes from loved ones, vintage handkerchiefs, hair flowers, old watches and sorority pins. There are gifts from old boyfriends that will soon make their way to eBay, and gifts from students. 

She knows what she is allowed to play with, but I've definitely had to pry a vintage brooch or fraternity button from her little hands. I don't know if she'll ever want to borrow my vintage beads or brooches.  I do know she's already learned to appreciate the beauty of these old pieces. And her old lady.

2 comments: