Friday, January 22, 2016

Charmed, I'm sure.


If I can't figure out which vintage brooch or ring to wear, I always reach for my Mother's charm bracelet. There's something about the pleasing jingling sound it makes.

 I talk with my hands, so the bracelet announces my arrival. Engraved discs memorialize Mom's schooling, internships and zodiac sign. Of course her alma mater has some coveted space, a pennant, a miniature class ring and a gift from a high-school boyfriend.
A little alien adds a cool space-age vibe,  reminiscent of the time when Mom was sporting this bracelet the most.
My favorite is the orange crate, fitting as Mom lives on a former Minute Maid orange grove and is a Floridian. I just don't understand how people can sell their charm bracelets online to strangers. They are like selling your scrapbooks! No!

I fell hard for the Pandora craze. I liked the idea of telling your story with charms. 

A tea pot for my honeymoon in Boston, fish for a wedding in Key West. I needed an apple for becoming a teacher, a house when we closed. A pink bead for my God-daughter, an owl to represent a visit to my wise bestie.

Tiffany &Co. and Louis Vuitton offer high end charm bracelets, while Origami Owl targets the soccer- Mom crowd.


For Origami Owl, you choose tiny little charms to fill a glass locket. You change them out based on holiday or whim. Of course, Alex and Ani is a huge hit with the college crowd. Inspirational messages and symbolic charms are stacked to the hilt on trendy arms everywhere. 

While Mom's charm bracelet was trending in the '50s and '60s, it is one of my favorite pieces now. Jewelry is meant to be passed down and enjoyed. Not sold on eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment