Saturday, December 26, 2015

Polka time

My daughter and I were both wearing polka dots yesterday. She looked down proudly and said, "circle!" I said, "Yes! But their proper name is polka dot."But then I thought, why? For me, polka dots bring Lucille Ball to mind. 

An iconic '50s look that has never gone out of style.
But the round pattern goes back to when the polka dance craze hit Europe in the 1840s. Polka supposedly means Polish woman in Polish... And when the dance became popular, the word "polka" was attached to all types of products. But like many things in our language, this term stuck. Minnie Mouse, Winston Churchill and Lucy all loved polka dots. What is it about this print that makes starlets and stay-at home-Moms feel pretty? 

I might have 4 polka dot items in my closet right now, most of the black and white variety.

Since polka dots had another surge of popularity in the '80s, I do remember wearing leggings and such with the pattern. Just like Madonna I was!


I call my red and white pin dot dress the "diner dress." Looks like I could be bringing you your corned beef hash and eggs...

This is another beauty from Lindy Bop I'd like to have...

As I type this now, I'm in my favorite road trip shirt. I recalled this is the exact outfit I wore on my last road trip to Tennessee.
It's long enough to cover my rump with another road trip fav.....leggings:) It's like a dressed up version of sweatpants! An now... Here are some ladies who probably never got close to sweatpants... But loved a good polka dot!

I have a black and white polka dot bathing suit from Target, but much prefer my red and white gingham from the Esther Williams collection. But if you add just one polka piece to a wardrobe, make like Audrey and buy a one piece. Instant retro flair❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment