Saturday, January 3, 2015

I am officially Southern, I fried a green tomato!


I was barefoot. I shooed a crawling baby from the kitchen. I fried green tomatoes with cornmeal and buttermilk. They were good. Better than a restaurant good. And I felt like a real Southern belle. 

Fried green tomatoes, FGTs, are in nearly every North Florida restaurant. Drive through the South, and they are listed as one of the vegetable sides along side macaroni and cheese if you're lucky. 

I've been lucky with the amount if success I've had thanks to Southern Living. My mother had their annual cookbooks lined up on the bookshelf upstairs, but I'm not sure if she referenced them. I never saw a cookbook propped on her counter as she cooked nearly every night. I only saw her thumb through her recipe cards if it was a holiday. I haven't made a set number of dishes enough times to stow the cookbooks just yet. So I followed Southern Living's recipe for FGTs and it was perfect. 
You'll also see some Brussel Sprouts on the side there with some red onion...another side dish to accompany the FGTs and pork chops tonight.

The FGTs called for a buttermilk, flour, egg and cornmeal dredging. The hardest part of this recipe is the amount of dishes you use!!

I used vegetable oil for a 2-minute, shallow fry in my trusty cast iron pan. It's nice to think I make tacos, marinara, eggs, and even pecan pie in this same skillet. 

I lightly salted the FGTs as they rested on paper towels. Good Lord, please be patient and don't eat one right out of the oil. You will burn all of your taste buds clean off!
I made some Ranch dressing, the usual partner in crime for these fried beauties. But honestly, I barely dipped. The FGTs were so sweet, yet tart with a delicate crunch. If they wouldn't get soggy overnight, these green and gold  discs would be perfect in a BLT, or BLFGT:) 

My Mom said her Mother would fry red tomatoes, and now I'm curious to try those as well. My husband made a face when I suggested the red version...so we'll see. 

Happy eating, ya'll! Leave me a comment if you love FGTs or are going to fry some up soon!

1 comment:

  1. Si delicious! I gladly would sacrifice any New Year's weight loss plans for just one more!

    ReplyDelete