Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Yo yos for Christmas

When I told my Mom no one sews anymore, she said, "I don't understand." I think Twitter has taken over the top-stitch and Netflix binging has nixed the knitting. I do have a few talented friends who can make a hat or a scarf, and one really special gal who can make clothes. But for me, I've only sewn on buttons and cross stitched over ink patterns of cats.  Over Thanksgiving, my Mom introduced me to the Clover, a plastic circular device used to make a "yo-yo." You use whatever fabric scraps you have to make these adorable mini blossoms. 


I strung mine along to make a home-spun garland.

 Mom stuffed her yo-yos and stacked them into a teeny tree finished with a bead.


Yo-yo making is the perfect thing to do while an old Christmas movie is on TV...Or when you are subjected to hours of football. 

The best thing about this project? You only have to know how to thread and knot a needle. Thank goodness. I could even do it as I ride in the car 10 hours to Tennessee this Christmas. Check out this little wreath with stuffed yo-yos from Mom. 


 I think I'm going to make another garland with leftovers from my daughter's mermaid quilt. I could make it like a little valance for her window. Yo-yos are a great project for a non-committal seamstress like me. I did feel a bit like Little House on the Prarie with a needle and thread in hand. And the result was perfectly retro.

No comments:

Post a Comment