Saturday, December 6, 2014

Apple butter on a Saturday

I've discovered apple butter is glorified apple sauce. There's no butter involved... What a bummer. I enjoyed making this Southern treat on a Saturday. About 8 apples, apple cider, sugar, cloves and cinnamon produced a sweet batch.

 I've had it smothered over a biscuit or spread on toast. But I could see it as an accompaniment to ham or poultry. Today, I tried out something I'd like to offer on my Christmas table. My husband was the willing taste tester for apple and cheese puffs. Puff pastry envelops the apple butter and cheddar cheese, with more cheese on top.

 But can you believe it, I couldn't taste the cheese over the powerful clove and buttery pastry. I asked my hubby to rate it with 1 being "never make it again or give it to the dogs" and 10 being "Make more now!" He gave it a 7. Hmmm. I'm not happy with a 7. Improvements? I'm going to use a sharper cheddar. Also, after the egg wash on top, a sprinkle of salt and pepper is much needed. If there's anything I've learned from being in the kitchen, it's don't make anything new for company. So anything on the Christmas table needs to be troubleshot. The hubby is going to be stuffed like a Christmas goose being my "assistant." 
Happy Holidays🎄🎅

No comments:

Post a Comment