Saturday, November 1, 2014

A tailgate must have! Devilishly good eggs!

Deviled eggs=fall football to me. They are a must have for watching the Florida Georgia game. I love making these salty indulgent snacks ahead of time, then unveiling them in my retro dish at the tailgate. 

This year, I'm headed to a party rather than the tailgate, my first time not going to the game in many years. But the eggs must be made! And eaten! There are so many ways to make deviled eggs, but I'm kind of a purist when it comes to the recipe. Mayo, yellow cheapo mustard, sweet relish, pepper and a whole egg get smashed together as the filling. Paprika must be sprinkled over top. That's it! 

I used to be terrified to boil eggs. But you really can't ruin them... Unless you really forget about them and you scorch the pan. In a saucepan with a lid, carefully place your eggs, then fill with cool water until the eggs are just covered. I always add a dash of white vinegar because I swear it makes them easier to peel. Some say it prevents a creepy green ring from coloring the yolk... But luckily I've never seen that. Set the water to boil, lid off. Boil the eggs for about a minute or so, then cover and switch the heat off. The residual heat will completely cook the eggs. After about 15 minutes, shock the eggs in an icebath. 
Peel carefully and dry completely. I say this because I have to peel eggs under running cool water or else it looks like Frankenstein peeled them for me.
I make the filling as described above and scoop the filling into a Ziplock bag. With the filling all in one corner, I snip the tip and make my own piping bag. 

The eggs aren't pretty, but I haven't cared to perfect the aesthetic, just the flavor. 
I love deviled eggs for Easter, but for football, it's an easy, inexpensive dish. What else am I lugging to the party? Buffalo chicken dip made with ranch, cream cheese, celery and cheddar and pimento cheese, of course☺️ Go Gators!

No comments:

Post a Comment